Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

At the quilting retreat last weekend, we all took turns making meals. And what looks above like a humble bowl of soup is actually the best thing I cooked all weekend. It's Giada's Creamy Sweet Potato and Rosemary Soup and it is truly delish. Yeah, I could have garnished it up a bit, and agreed, we probably shouldn't have been serving on our cutting mat, but oh well. We all really enjoyed it, and I think what makes it special is the mascarpone cheese. Not cream to make it creamy, but good Italian mascarpone. That and the maple syrup. Whatever - the combo is a winner.

Besides soup, I have Valentine's Day on my mind. And I thought I'd share some appropriate randomness.  For one - here's a link back to my old favorite Valentine cookie recipes here on the blog - Linzer Hearts and Shortbread Hearts.

I came across these darlings on Pinterest - don't they look tasty?

And what I wouldn't do for one of these Red Velvet Brownies right now. oh my.


Unrelated to the table, here's a little sewing project {or two} from last weekend that fits the theme.
I used this tutorial by Simple Things as seen on Sew, Mama, Sew last week, tweaking it just a bit to suit my use of charm squares, and {I might as well just come out and say it...} to make it a "shoulder bag" for grandgirl, rather than a wristlet. My friend at the retreat was so tickled with it, I made one for her little granddaughter too. Very fun.

So anything Valentine-y going on at your house, or general goodness from your kitchen? Feel free to share here!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this heart ist so cute! Aqua and red ist one of my favorite color combinations at the moment. Good idea, to make a long strap!
    I could make one for my niece...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you added a strap to that pouch! So cute!!

    You won't believe this, but I'm making a similar pouch from Erin Erickson's tutorial (has the zipper slanted across the heart), and I actually have the front and back pinned together ready to sew! I'm going to add a strap, too, only it'll be a lanyard, because I think this pouch is slightly smaller, so 'my granddaughter' can wear it around her neck! Thanks for the great idea!

    And aren't granddaughters fun to sew for, though? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the soup and the red velvet brownies to console me today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing valentiney here, but I'd love it if someone brought me some of that soup :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks so delicious - I have made pumpkin soup before but I will have to try this one too!

    ReplyDelete