Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Conversely

Back in January, per usual, it took some mulling over to decide what block to have the FAITH Circle of do.Good Stitches do for our February quilt. The decision was made the second I saw Gen X Quilter's January block for her Vice Versa BOM. The pair were so unique, and I was immediately tempted to try a different layout than AnneMarie had planned!

I chose a palette of pale gray, chartreuse, and aqua/teal, with a dark gray center. These weren't the most prolific in my bee-mates stashes, so we ended up with quite a range of colors in our blocks. But look! They play along together perfectly fine.
For quilting, I used my dependable Aurifil 50wt #2600 (light gray) - which so often seems "just right" - and it did again, not screaming loudly, but definitely visible. My original quilting plan was to zip-zag vertically along the edge of those half-square triangles. And that worked great and I loved the look. See the little detail it made on the right- and left-center of the photo below? That was all well and good, but it wasn't quite enough,density-wise. So I went back and stitched vertically and horizontally between the quarters of each block. That added another little detail - the criss-cross in the blocks' center squares. I liked that too, and washed up, the amount of quilting left the quilt soft and comfy.
Here's another view of the quilting, and the backing too - a white dot on lime - "Spot On" by Robert Kaufman. I decided to go for this as a way to validate the lime in a few of the blocks on the front. {smile} Binding is the sweet Lush Running Stitch by Michael Miller in turquoise. Trust me, it's perfect.
So thanks again, FAITH ladies! You helped me create a quilt that was a joy to finish. It will be donated to Restore Innocence as soon as I get it labeled up! Oh, and thanks to AnneMarie for her delightful Vice Versa pattern. I can't tell you how many times I've said, "I wish I'd thought of that!" But I'm certainly glad she did. Anyway, now it's time for the quilt to go on to comfort and bless a young girl. That's my hope.


Linking up with SEWjo Saturday and Fabric Tuesday.

19 comments:

  1. Another wonderful finish for a wonderful cause! I think all the colours play so well together and will much treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great layout - and the colors are perfectly too. Im sure it will be loved and cherised by its new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely and bright! A wonderful quilt for someone to love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! And love the quilting. What a great charity to contribute to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colors! a great choice

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful and I think the binding fabric is just perfect to finish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this colour way . They do all play well together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply gorgeous, Debbie! The colors are smashing. Some child is going to adore this. You're a generous and good person to give it away. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Debbie! I'm always amazed when I see these bee quilts how everyone's blocks just seem to work together so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great choice Of block and color. For such a good cause. Thanks for showing how generous quilters are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always Deb...your vision played out to make a great looking quilt! The quilting is just right for this layout :) This was a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous design - really love this colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful quilt. Your quilting choices work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bee quilt has a beauty above and beyond what one can imagine or achieve alone. A beauty born of community. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgeous Debbie - I've loved watching these blocks come in and your process of making the quilt through IG. I'm so glad you chose this block. It looks wonderful with all the inverses side by side.

    Thank you for your kind words too :)

    ReplyDelete