Friday, May 30, 2014

Gifty

Thinking about what gift to make for a good friend recently just happened to coincide with the arrival of a lovely little stack of Moda Linen Mochi Dots. From there it was a simple jump to Noodlehead's Open Wide Zippered Pouch tutorial, and I just got to work.
I paired the dots with some Kaufman Essex Linen in Natural, and luckily had just stocked up on zips from the one and only zipit. I swapped colors so each pouch had a contrasting zipper.
I dug into my stash for a lining that would work with both colors and came up with one of my favorite prints from Denyse Schmidt's Sugar Creek and Winding Road line.
And for those fun fussy-cut zipper tabs, I reached for a bit of Etsuko Furuya's Echino Insects. 
This pouch pattern is so clear and well-written, which makes these a really fun sew. For the record, I did use Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex, which makes the bags sturdy enough without being puffy or stiff. Noodlehead's tutorial has 3 sizes available, which I really appreciate. The blue bag I made is the large size (8.5" H x 8" W x 5" D finished) and the green is the medium (8.5" H x 8" W x 5" D).

I'm really not meaning to do a review on this pattern, but the truth is, on Giveaway Day when I asked commenters to name their favorite free online tutorial, this one was mentioned more times than anything else! So really, if you haven't tried it yet, you should, don't you think?

20 comments:

  1. I certainly love the pattern Debby, and these two are super bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job of a lovely pattern! Perfect in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job of a lovely pattern! Perfect in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I need to try it! The zipper colors and fussy cut tabs make your bags super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your fabric choices are so great. I love making these too

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, this is one of the best tutorials I have ever attempted. Love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fussy cut zipper tabs, they add that 'something extra' to your pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, it is a great one! Your bags turned out great, love the fabrics, contrasting zips and the the little tab ends, so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute and I agree that Noodlehead's tutorial is super user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I love the dots and really, the fabric combos overall. The zipper tab ends are the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love your fabric choices. No, I have NOT made this one yet! Someday..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute bags! Love how you got them coordinated perfectly! Noodle head does have the best tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabric combinations are beautiful. I'm glad I'm reading your post today. Because earlier today I selected several fabrics to make the "open wide zippered pouch". I just need to physc myself up to tackle the zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute cute cute! I love how these pouches turn out. I just have issues with my pouch end where the zipper tail hangs out. It always looks messy. :(
    Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was the first thing I ever made outside of quilting and it open my eyes to a whole new world of sewing. Yes, love the Noodlehead pouch! And love the zipper. I do all mine this way now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect choices, Deb. These will have to be gifted as a pair. The reason I love this pattern is that no matter what fabric we choose, the pouch always looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Double fabulous and love your fabric choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been meaning to make these ever since the tutorial came out and just made a couple of the medium sized ones a couple of days ago. It's a lovely tutorial. I love the fabrics you used and especially the lining fabric. Great job. These are mine if you want to take a look.
    http://miacreates.blogspot.com/2014/05/open-wide-zippered-pouches.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are adorable! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete