Friday, June 27, 2014

My Favorite Quilt

It's been 27 days since Jessica from Quilty Habit began her "My Favorite Quilt" series over at Sew, Mama, Sew. And it's taken me this long to share mine because I COULDN'T DECIDE!

Finally, I chose an oldie but a goodie.

Tell us about your favorite quilt. When did you make it? What pattern did you use? What fabrics?
My quilt is Kaleidoscope, made during the Kaleidoscope Quilt Along with Elizabeth of don't call me betsy way back in 2011. It was during my first months of blogging, and I was still getting my feet wet in the online quilting community, still unsure about 'modern' fabrics, still very much a newbie at machine quilting. I chose to use mostly Denyse Schmidt prints, with some stash dots and other coordinates thrown in. I remember being really doubtful about my final fabric grouping, but Elizabeth assured me it was just fine.

Have your shown it at any quilt shows or entered it in any contests? 
Not this one. 

What memories does the quilt make you think of? 
What I remember most - and one of the big reasons I chose it as my favorite - was the sense of accomplishment and pure satisfaction I found in this quilt's entire process and completion. In my reveal post at the time I stated, 'Usually when I finish a quilt, there's a sense of "well that was fun". Sometimes, "whew, I'm glad that's done". And occasionally, "wow, there's truly a part of me in this quilt". That third sentiment is how I feel about Kaleidoscope ... I feel like Kaleidoscope definitely has a little of my quilting journey pieced into it.'

What do you like best about the quilt? 
I love the mix of fabrics. I like the little 'star' the quilting makes at each block's intersections. I'm still really fond of that plaid binding. And it's been washed numerous times, so it's really comfy cozy and crinkly.

How did you grow as a quilter while making it? 
I totally went out of my comfort zone quilting this one. Deciding to quilt Kaleidoscope as I did scared me silly at the time. And it was the first time I quilted with 'colored' thread. I really went out on a limb choosing gray. haha

If you could make this quilt again, what (if anything) would you do differently? 
I'm not sure I'd change a thing. I really like it just as it is.

Where is the quilt now?
Thrown over the back of the couch in our family room, where it's pretty much been ever since I took the last stitch. It's the one I reach for when the weather turns chilly.

20 comments:

  1. This quilt is so bright and beautiful Debbie, the colours really zing! I made a sampler quilt with a quilt along for my second quilt and I too was a new quilter. I was totally out of my comfort zone and it wasn't perfect by any manner of means but the satisfaction I got when it was finished was out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt Debbie - love all of the blues and greens together and your quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable quilt, Debbie! pattern is fantastic and the colours like freshing summer water! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this one :) no wonder it's still a favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that QAL, the quilt I made lives with my nephew who loves it. Yours is wonderful, I would not suggest a single change either. Thank you for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great colour combo, but I'm bias ; )
    Your 'early' quilting looks beautiful Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you love it! Some of my first quilts, or quilts that I tried something new on for the first time are my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, you always had good taste in fabric and fabric combos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI,this is the most beautiful quilt in greens I've ever seen! Not that found of 'green fabric; but think I'd like to make one similar now! Thanks for sharing!

    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good choice! It's beautiful and I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Debbie, this is gorgeous! I've never seen this quilt of yours before so I'm so happy you're sharing it as your favourite. I'm smitten with your fabric choices and the design. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your comment about being so bold to choose grey thread! If your former self could see the thread that you use now!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those aquas had me at "HELLO"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful zingy quilt. You must be so proud of it especially as you were fairly new to machine quilting too. Absolutely gorgeous. Is the pattern available please?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh . . like this one too Debbie. Love the fabric combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really love it! Great colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt is one of the few rocky road's I can find that's actually been quilted. It gave me just the inspiration I needed to quilt my own rocky road...that's been pieced and waiting for the last year. Thanks so much. k

    ReplyDelete
  18. So Lovely. Your quilt popped up in my Pinterest feed. Your blog post and quilt are charming.

    ReplyDelete