Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pixelated Heart

New arrivals in our extended family means baby quilts are definitely in order, and admittedly, I've gotten a very late start. But with this pixelated heart quilt, one can be on its way.


The pattern is from Blue Elephant Stitches, and since I had alot of 2 1/2" squares already cut, I used them rather than the suggested 3" squares. To up-size the quilt just a bit, I added two extra 'background' rows on the left and the bottom.


I used my everyday Aurifil 50wt 2021 (natural white) to quilt a grid, sewing on the right side of each column and the bottom of each row, just to add to the 'offset'.

My original idea was to grow the quilt even more with a 2" finished binding pieced of several of the low-volume fabrics. Which worked great - but as I was sewing it on, I realized it reminded me of the satin edge on a baby blanket - and I liked that alot.



The finished quilt measures 36" x 38" and is super sweet, exactly as I was hoping it should be.


13 comments:

  1. Adorable Debbie! I love baby quilts...little projects that can easily get DONE! I do love the wide binding~I thought of satin binding when I saw it as well! Congrats on the addition to the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the heart ended up a bit off center, and the edge does look just like satin on the edge of a baby blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like the off-centred heart and the big binding. Does the binding actually cover unfinished batting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special quilt for a special somebody. Love the Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt (and versions of it) have been on my list for quite some time. I love how yours turned out. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect little baby quilt and the perfect idea to use up some squares! The binding looks great, I love how you do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for the new little one and the beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The wide binding is lovely! I'm watching all these baby quilt finishes because I just might have the need to make a few soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super sweet, Debbie! Congratulations for the new baby! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is perfect! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday! !

    ReplyDelete